Tuesday, October 31, 2006

my middle name is danger

so i went running around 6:20 tonight through the streets of xi pu. now i am the first to admit that dusk is the most dangerous time of the day (besides dawn [just ask george clooney]). but when i started running, it was light out. now granted that all of china is on beijing time, and there is no daylight savings here, i think i should have known better. but darn, it got dark quick.

as i ran towards traffic, there was no danger from the cars. i saw them, and they saw me. more of a threat however, were the bikes and scooters. they would come at me with a playing-chicken type determination. as they would pass me, they would stare, and i would make eye contact with them.

at one point, as i ran past a bus, there must have been 30 people staring at me. i waved, and one brave soul waved back. (luckily, they weren't on a field trip i was supposed to be attending. [a little inside, i know])

as i ran back, i began to realize how dangerous it is to be running at this time of night. at one intersection i saw a boy on a bike and a man on a scooter have a head on collision. they seemed to be okay, but the rubbernecking at full speed was a bit more disconcerting. everyone, including me, did not slow down, just followed the action with their head.

finally, about a mile from home, a boy was yelling at his friend behind him while he rode his bike towards me. i leaped onto the sidewalk as he turned around and swerved away. afterwards, he gave me a friendly apologetic wave, which made me happier for the experience. it also gave me a chance to prove my fancy footwork.

needless to say, that was the last run i go on at this time of night. at least that i tell my parents about.

No comments: