Sunday, October 15, 2006

lunch with the kitchen


on sunday lunch, the school is practically empty, and they only make enough lunch for the security guards and the kitchen. and the foreign teachers, since we don't have a home to go to for the weekend.

i arrived at 12:15, and everyone was serving themselves from behind the counter. i went back, and immediately there was confusion. waiguo laoshi (foreign teacher) can't be asked to get his own meals! so as i tried to help myself, they quickly prevented me, and helped me themselves.

after they gave me my tray, it seemed everyone was sitting at one table, so i sat down as well. again i caused quite a stir, but soon they got used to it. it was nice sitting there, just listening to everyone speak. it's gotta help on some level, right?

after i was done i said, "wo chi hao le, xie xie ni men." (i ate well, thank you all) and went to clear my tray. they looked at me as if i was crazy, and used hand gestures to tell me to put the tray down. they are just too nice.

No comments: