Wednesday, October 11, 2006

friendliness


i am killing myself softly with chinese. i study quite a bit--more than i did in college--and i'm constantly practicing on the locals. my whole day rests on how they react. for instance...

a few days ago, i was walking in town after buying a few apples. as i walked by our regular place ("cheers" we affectionately refer to it), i saw hiro and patrick eating dinner. as i walked toward them to say hello, a security guard i have spoken with a few times saw me first. he was eating with friends at the same restaurant, and he quickly offered me a beer. of course i accepted, but my fellow teachers only saw me after i had sat down with the security guards. they gave me the, "i see how it is" business, but it was clear they understood that this is how one learns a new language.

so i sat down, drinking my beer in the tiny little glasses they serve with it. i tried to follow the conversation, and added a few things myself, "i like kung pao chicken," was about the extent of it. but i'm sure i'm getting something by osomosis, and these men were extremely nice and friendly to me. it was a great experience, and i know have a new "peng-you" (friend).


the next night, i ventured down the fair area of the village to pick up an electric pencil sharpener (i need it.) and a fried dough crepe. the people who run the booth are very friendly as well, and it was nice to see them after a long break. i ordered a banana one, and watch the cook make his magic. while i was waiting, 3 college aged girls came up, speaking rapidly in chinese to one another and to the proprietors. i waited quietly, again trying to follow the conversation until i heard a girl ask the laoban, "ta ting bu dong ma?" (does he understand?) at the point it was clear to me they were talking about me, and my face turned beet red, as it is wont to do. i told them "wo ting de dong yi dian dian," (i understand a little) picked up my pancake, what was left of my diginity, and walked away.

i'm sure they weren't saying anything too mean, and i'm sure they meant it in the nicest of ways, but the tones of each situation were so different. in both i tried to understand the best i could, it just rested in the locals how they treated that comprehension or lack thereof. keep that in mind next time you come across someone who doesn't speak your language.

No comments: