Sunday, October 07, 2007

volleyball

During the past few weeks, all the da weis (or workgroups) in the city have been practicing. For what, you ask? Sports Day. Oh yes. To begin the National Holiday, the city of Yanchi holds a sport day. There is basketball, pingpong, running, and of course, volleyball.

I was given the option of volleyball or basketball. Lord knows I wasn't going to play basketball after spraining my ankle, even though I'm probably better at basketball (which means I'm horrifically bad at volleyball). So I went down and met my teammates. We had 2 practices every day, and it was like being back in elementary school.

Kids, excuse me, adults were running all over the place. They would sit out when they got tired. Some of them complained while we were warming up. My favorite was when the men would smoke in the middle of a scrimmage. It was clear that I, as the American, was taking this competition must more seriously than anyone else.

Not that I'm competitive or anything...wink.

The pinnacle of my frustration came when our da wei's basketball team came over and challenged us to a game. Now at this point, I will say that many of our good players weren't at this practice. So we were playing, and not listening to each other, and one man was running around into everyone else's space. We lost 2-1. I was pissed.

But I let that rage go, and realized that I just need to try my best, and do the best that I could.

The contest was supposed to be held last Friday, but was postponed due to rain for tomorrow. Let's hope my team brings their A game. I know I will.

No comments: