Saturday, October 06, 2007

dryclean only

Well, I was wasted, as I am apt to be on a Sunday afternoon, and had spilled something down the front of my Mayhew hoodie. That is alright. I can deal with that. But in washing the said sweatshirt, I left my digital camera in the pocket.

The camera came out spotless...and non-functional. This before my week of vacation where I was going to visit the legendary Xixia Tombs. Frustration abounded. Luckily, I returned from my trip and the thing would turn on, even if the buttons wouldn't work. If there's some way to get past the date/time setup, I should be in business, just unable to browse my pictures on the camera.

Here are some descriptions of pictures I wanted to take.

  • The view from the top of Chuangsi Ta, demonstrating that Yinchuan looks like every other Chinese city. Worn out apartment buildings and offices spread out before you like, well, every other Chinese city.
  • A bus driver smoking as he drives, with a do not smoke sign directly over his head.
  • Evidence that the dogs in Yinchuan eat a ton of corn, and do not effectively chew it. (Maybe not a picture on this one...but I saw these little presents every where in the city.)
  • Yinchuan does not only have the first waterslide park (admittedly defunct) I've seen in China, but also the only mini-golf course I've seen. I would have played a round, but where's the fun of playing without friends?
  • A picture of the best pizza place in China...Robin's Pizza. Imported mozzerella, imported meats. It was real pizza, not the kind you can get at a buffet in China. Pretty impressive for Yinchuan, if you ask me.
But now I've entered into my last week here in Ningxia, and it's certainly bittersweet. I'm ready to go home, but also I've hit my stride here. I'm comfortable, I have friends, my alcohol tolerance is through the roof...life is good.

No comments: