Friday, April 27, 2007

le shan revisited

Midterm exams began the day before yesterday, and while the Chinese teachers and students worked hard, the foreign teachers were whisked off to Le Shan. Patrick and I had visited once before, but because of the crowds, we were only able to see a giant ear and face. We figured since this time it was a Thursday, and it was raining, the line wouldn't be as bad. It wasn't. Still it was pretty bad.

After being led around in circles, we were finally able to get to the spot where you either to decide to a.) wait in line for 45 minutes to slowly walk down stairs (still in a line) to see the Grand Buddha from his feet, or b.) give up. Our guide took told us that the only way down was by this staircase. This clearly wasn't the case, as we certainly had not come in via those stairs, and the party began to get restless.

A quick note: our party was augmented this rainy day by 2 headmasters from 2 schools in England. I think their presence made it easier for the following to happen.

As we stood in line, I thanked God I had glasses on, because the chance of getting poked in the eye from a stray umbrella spar was quite high. While I watched, a woman looked me straight in the eye, and cut me. This is the type of thing that bothers me. I don't know why. It just does. I said hello to her, she smiled, nodded, said hello back, and moved forward more, just to make it clear who was ahead of who. I decided I didn't want to stand in line anymore.

The first time in Le Shan, Patrick and I regretted not taking a boat to see the Buddha. You miss all the lines and you get a better perspective on Da Fo. We'd been talking it up all day, and our stint in the line finally riled people up enough to demand it.

We exited the park, got back in the minibus, and drove to the docks. There was another hour long wait for the big boat. Not deterred, our driver found us a motorboat. There was no line, but it was open-topped and expensive. Luckily, it wasn't our money we were spending. We got into the motorboat, and it sped off towards the statue. In 5 minutes, we were out in front of it, staring at it's grandeur. The boat took as many pictures as possible, and we headed back. The trip, all-told, took 15 minutes. The boatman took away 450 kuai for that 15 minutes. That's...1800 kuai an hour, as David Brent would point out. For my money, it was worth it.

After an exciting boat ride, we were bundled back into the minibus and taken to the swankiest restaurant in Le Shan. I stuffed myself full of tofu, pig's ear, a tofu dish very reminiscent of fried dough, and many other things as well. Delicious. Washing it down with a few beers, I slept most of the way back to Chengdu. Not bad for a Thursday.

No comments: