Sunday, April 22, 2007

a delightful cab ride

After a nice house party, and a ridiculous house (which i have just decided to write a whole separate entry on), I made my goodbyes and started home. I was gonna walk to Tianfu and take a cab from there to save some extra kuai, but after a cab made a U-ie for me, I decided to take him up on his offer, even though I had a few more blocks to go.

I asked him to take me home, and he gave me the uniform, "Your Chinese is good." I think he said something about me saying Xipu better than some Zhong Guo Ren, but I can't be sure because I didn't understand him. He proceeded to talk to me at such a rate that I felt the Micro Machine spokesman couldn't keep up. I told him I understood a little, and to speak slower. At that he threw his head back and laughed (we were luckily at a green light), and said, "Your pronunciation is good but you don't understand anything!" We shared a small chuckle about what a crazy laowai I am, and drove the rest of the way in silence.

When we arrived at my school I paid, and he gave me a wave and a thumbs up. Exactly what I needed.

No comments: