Monday, February 23, 2009

8 grand traditions of chinese cuisine: guangdong (cantonese)

To be honest, I'm not sure this counts...dim sum is certainly Guangdong food, but by eating these delicious lunchtime snacks, am I missing what makes Guangdongese food Guangdongese?  I have to reevaluate menus and wikipedia, and I'll get back to you.

Disclaimer aside, the food was great at the Gloria Plaza hotel.  We had a wide range of dim sum dishes, including the requisite Char Siu Bao, or pork buns (fluffy dough stuffed with sweet sauce and meat), Hargao, or shrimp dumplings, and Char siu sou, a flaky pastry stuffed with pork.  

Everything was to my expectations, and this is part of the problem.  With Anhui and Fujian food, I wasn't sure what I was getting, or I didn't realize that this food was from those regions.  Dim sum, however, my experience runs a little deeper.  The one thing that was new was the durian sou, which was a sweet pastry stuffed with that bizarre fruit, yes, you guessed it, the durian.  

Every time I pass a durian on the street at my local fruit stand (well, no longer, it's out of season) I was too intimidated to pick one up.  The large spiky shell and reports of its off-putting aroma always kept me from purchasing it.  If this flaky dessert type thing is any indicator (which I am definitely unsure it is), I would have enjoyed it.  

I'll have to get some back in the states.  Until then, I will be pondering whether I should go to another Guangdong restaurant, or leave it be.  Thoughts?

No comments: