Tuesday, July 10, 2007

what?!?!?

Yesterday, I was riding my bike to the office when I passed something that made me question my reality. A naked man was sitting in front a tree, in a fairly...open position. He wasn't exactly engaged in omphaloskepsis, but I wish he had been.

This may speak to the abject poverty here in Yanchi County. Perhaps the man lacked a place to maintain his bathing rituals, and he figured that this skinny little tree afforded him the privacy he needed.

On the other hand, I may have misjudged the cultural norms of Ningxia. As I zoomed past on my bike, it seemed to me that the people across the street weren't bothered in the least.

Or perhaps he was just a crazy guy, and since I have yet to see a police officer here, there was no one to help him (for who else feels it necessary to approach a naked crazy man?).

As I rode past today, a nearby square was blasting Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On." My first thought was that I'm glad it wasn't playing yesterday, or a probably would have lost my mind.

No comments: