Monday, July 23, 2007

big puddle (大水坑)

This weekend I traveled by bus over rocky roads to visit Big Puddle, my coworker Xiao Wang's (小王's) (Little Wang's) hometown. A large part of my trip was being introduced to the family. Everyone was incredibly nice and hospitable. Xiao Wang's family owns a restaurant, so I was treated to delicious food. But by the end of the weekend, my anti-hospitable streak was showing, as I started to get annoyed with everyone telling me to eat.

Why must I be told to eat when I am eating already? It drives me crazy.

By far, the highlight of the trip was when Xiao Wang's brother-in-law, a Sichuan man as well as the cook of the restaurant, cooked me Sichuan food for my last meal there. Mapo Tofu,Huigourou (twice-cooked pork), and gongbao jiding, (the delightful kung-pao chicken). It was the most delicious Sichuan food I had eaten since...well, since I was in Chengdu.

It was only slightly hampered by the addition of Guopi (果啤)or pineapple flavored beer. Very weak stuff (less than 1% abv) but boy was it awful. Luckily the man's 5 year-old son loved it, so I didn't have to drink to much.

Speaking of, this kid was the biggest ham I've seen in China. Climbing over everything, screaming, and at the least hint of music dancing to the delight of all. He definitely had a bit of the "Little-Emperor" syndrome going on.

All in all it was a good trip--the food was delicious and the hospitality was wonderful. I mean, what more can a Laowai ask for?

No comments: