Sunday, July 29, 2007

introverts, anyone?

There are many ways in which my Ningxia experience is different than Chengdu. The desert, 50,000 vs. 12 million people, peer pressured drinking. One of the most frustrating, for me, is my lack of autonomy. On a regular day, I work in the office until lunch, or perhaps someone asks me to go the country. Either way, I'm with someone else. Then I go back to the office until dinner time, when I go to dinner with a coworker.

I'm not sure if they're afraid I might get lost, or that I couldn't order for myself, or that I don't have money to pay, or what, but it's frustrating for someone who values his independence. I'm also considering that maybe one of my colleagues is really lonely and that's the reason.

I'm loathe to bring it up, but spending another week of meals wracking my brain to keep up with conversation without at least one meal of just me and my book might drive me crazy.

No comments: