Friday, December 22, 2006

close shave

ever since college i have wanted to get a hot shave with a straight razor at a barber shop. today, was my chance. my plan was to get a quick trim of my month and a half beard, and be out in a flash. i told the woman "beard, short." she pointed to the straight razor, and i said bu yao, and figured myself in the clear. then she took out her pair of clippers, sans guard, and took the whole eighth of a year growth off my face.

for the most part, i am happy to part with my beard. but usually i make the decision to rid myself of it. i was pretty upset. but i figured, "now i can get that hot shave i've always wanted!" you always have to look on the bright side.

unfortunately, the side wasn't very bright. they poured hot water in a bowl over a towel, and covered my face with shaving soap. then i got the hot towel treatment, delightful. after the towel, i was treated to another application of shaving soap, and the barber got down to business.

she started with my mustache first, scraping it off bit by bit. by the time she was done with the 'stache, my face was cold, due to the open air nature of all chinese shops. she continued to scrape all the hair off my face. she even took my beloved sideburns, for i didn't know what to say to save them.

when she was finally done, she wiped my face off, and i paid and ran as fast as i could. i walked away, feeling my tender face. there were still patches of hair places, and when i got home, i found my neck was bleeding.

so my first straight razor shave was a disappointment. i hope the next is a bit happier. maybe she wasn't ready for my big, tough, american bristle. whatever the problem, i have not given up on my hot shave. i just need to find the right place.

1 comment:

Dibital Nation said...

book idea for you: the boy who didn't know how to save his sideburns. it'd be an adolescent romp through the perils of puberty and new found manliness with the language barrier as a metaphor for the thin line between when i was the boy and when i was the man.