Sunday, September 10, 2006

teacher's day

one of my favorite things about china is the value they put on education. today is teacher's day nationwide. i have received a healthy bonus (1/7 my monthly salary) and the vice-mayor of chengdu came to visit the school earlier in the week. if you get the chengdu news, tune in...you might see a couple waiguoren walking behind the headmaster and the vice mayor. that's me! i was tempted to get closer and scream hi mom, but i figured no one would see it.

i have yet decided what i'm going to do with my windfall, but more peanut butter is a definite item.

on the bus today, i stepped on a woman's foot. i apologized profusely (duibuqi, duibuqi) and asked her to take a seat. she protested, but finally sat down. she didn't seem to be too angry with me.

i think my chinese is getting better too. we went to meet a bunch of people from rachel and patrick's program, and we were the only ones who didn't get lost. i'd like to think it was my excellent pronounciation of the address to the cab driver. it probably was just a good cab driver.

No comments: