Tuesday, September 26, 2006

mistakes on the english map of china

as promised, my communist student, tang, came through. today, before class (yes, not even after class, before class!) i was presented with a copy of the anti-secession law in english. one country, two systems. i was also provided a white rabbit, which is like a tootsie roll, except made out of the same cream filling in bull's eyes. i was worried that my democratic tendencies seemed to be up for sale for delicious treats, but i decided it was just a gift.

after class, tang informed me that the english map of china that he gave me last week was incorrect. the english map said that qumanglang feng was the tallest mountain at 8848 meters high. in fact, qumanglang feng was the tallest mountain at 8844.48 meters high. the discrepancy had not bothered me by that point, but there is no doubt it would have eventually. what really bothered me at this point was that he had spent time scouring both maps simultaneously for mistakes. i decided that this couldn't be the case, and this fact had been found out some other way. either way, i'm reading up on the npc's decision, and i'll get back to you about how i feel.

No comments: