Tuesday, May 22, 2007

syrup? not maple syrup, just syrup.

Squat toilets are not the most sweet smelling things. Trough squat toilets smell even worse. I will not describe the odor of trough squat toilets in a boys high school rest room. As Nadia and I pass the bathrooms, we can tell what day it is. Monday isn't too bad, but on Thursday I'm nauseous for the 20 seconds as I pass those foul rooms.

Today, however, there was a sweet smell of syrup as I walked by. Now this is not the syrup of the majority of my youth, not the amber nectar that is produced from the beautiful maple tree. This is the smell of fake syrup, of the french toast sticks of Burger King on an early morning trek to a ski race.

There is something pretty disturbing about the combination of smell and location. The smell is pleasant, but shouldn't be. The dissonance makes it that much worse. But, eh, such is China.

No comments: