Monday, May 28, 2007

overcoming bureaucracy

At our dining hall, every day at lunch you have a good choice of a bunch of meat dishes, a few vegetable dishes. Behind a row of teller windows, lunch ladies stand in front of bowls, collecting the chits that are used for currency at DH (that's what I call dining hall [it's catching on]). You get to choose two meat and one veg, as well as a nice big block of rice. Usually, I'll mention one or two of the vegetables or dishes I know and point to the rest. I sit eating with chopsticks, shocking the teachers with my skill.

If someone finishes their tray and is still hungry, they are welcome to go back to back to the lunch ladies to get more...but only of the dishes that they chose the first time. Perhaps they are worried with too many choices the faculty may become fat. I'm not sure why, but some of the teachers have figured a way around this. After finishing your firsts, you clear off your tray into a soup bowl. (Soup is available at every meal. People drink that instead of a beverage.) Using your friend's tray, you get a bit of what you'd like to have that you didn't the first time, and go to the window. Spying your tray, they give you a refill of what they thought was there the first time. And boosh, you've beaten the system. Out of what, I have no idea, but you've beaten it. Congratulations.

No comments: