Monday, November 20, 2006

things i see regularly

rides outside stores for little children that play jingle bells.
bicycle tires burning on the sidewalk.
men with quarter-inch long fingernails. (it's a status symbol, showing that you don't work with your hands)
street sweepers playing happy birthday.
children relieving themselves on the street, sidewalk, supermarket or bus floor.
ducks' and chickens' heads, pig snouts, occasionally whole butchered yaks.
crowds of people standing around watching others scream at each other over a fenderbender.
live turtles and frogs at the supermarket.
police officers (or at least people in the drivers seat of police cars) reclined and passed out.

things i don't see regularly:
the sky
a good grilled cheese
uniformed police officers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read two great article/journals on China this week - I'll email you the links.

Grilled cheese huh? I'm a quesadilla man myself, but I'd imagine a tortilla is even harder to come by.