Thursday, August 31, 2006

bikes and fights

to start yesterday, we had a meeting where we finally found out what we were doing. it turns out, i'm here to teach english! what a surprise. Hu Bin (the head master) went over our benefits and our responsibilities. (my responsibilities are few. i have 11 hours of class and 2 lesson plans a week, yesssssss!)

After our meeting, we went into town to buy the men bikes. (the women had bikes in their apartment to begin with.) Oliver picked out 3 spanking new bikes, and had them attach baskets and locks, and adjust the seats. I have given myself two weeks until I accidentally have it stolen. While we were waiting, we were provided with stools and bottled water. It was a pleasant experience, albeit maybe a bit long. We sat drinking water and looking at the street, while Oliver and the bike people tried to get our bikes just right. People kept riding by rubbernecking. I always worry about those riding bicycles and scooters. I'm afraid they'll crash into something as they crane their necks around and try to stare at me after they've passed. i've caused no crashes yet. (knock on wood.)

But the ride back was delightful. I felt like listening to Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head and robbing banks. [archaic movie reference]

this morning, on my way to pick up some groceries, i passed the corner where the busses come and the rickshaws wait. on the corner a man and women were fighting. screaming at each other with voices full. i did a bit of rubbernecking myself at that point, and it looked like it was coming to physical violence. the idea of the quiet, demure chinese woman is a misconception, i believe. they are full of fire, and seem quite able to speak their mind. but who knows? i've only been here five days--that alone blows my mind. it feels like it's been a month already.

2 comments:

Dibital Nation said...

do you have a copy of when i was the boy? that needs to be posted. if you don't want to post it here, can i post it on mine? also, i'm still on a quest for stag love. we need that available on the internet. do you have any contacts in the reading room?

Froggy said...

When I was the boy? Was that the link posted on Bick's AIM profile back in the day?

And what is this "Stag Love?" I live ten minutes away from the reading room so I can definitely look into it.

Asian women are intense, man, don't let their average height of 5'2" deceive you...